Hello, thank you very much to everyone for the kind comments & tweets on my blog post last night, I was still blushing this morning.
Keren Baker asked me last night how long it takes me to make a background & the answer is not long at all, if I know what I’m doing. Which is rare. Usually, there’s lots of thinking & staring & wondering how on earth to start. I’m not one of those talented crafters who can move seamlessly from one idea to the next. My ideas are dragged out, kicking & screaming, from the depths of my brain.
I know I’ve joked about it before, but one of my biggest difficulties is choosing colours & really, it’s not funny, to me at least. I cannot put colours together & I cannot tell if a colour combination works or not, so trying to get that right takes ages. I decided to join Pinterest simply so that I could have a place where I put pictures of colour combinations & I get a daily email from http://designseeds.com, which I pin to my Colour Palettes board. Then of course, I have to decide which of the colours I have matches most closely with the pictures. All of which goes to explain why I’m lucky if I manage to do a blog post more than once a week.
Cutting it fine yet again, I have managed to finish my take on Tim’s beautiful, Spring-like March tag, which you can see here. As usual, I had to come up with something using what I have in my stash, but I followed Tim’s process as closely as I could. I’m still using canvas boards & this time I have also used a tag.
I gave the board a quick coat of gesso, then applied some Cheesecake Fresco with a baby wipe. I cut a few centimetres off the bottom of the tag so that it would look better on the board. All the stamping was done using Tim’s Visual Artistry stamps & Wendy Vecchi’s Archival inks – Potting Soil, Watering Can, Cornflower Blue & Orange Blossom. The second generation stamping worked quite well on the board I thought. And I discovered I could smudge the ink with a baby wipe if I was careful not to overdo it.
I die cut the feather & applied the inks through the negative & added some pencil lines to the feather on the tag. The words are 7 Gypsies stamps. I blended Tattered Rose, Shabby Shutters & Squeezed Lemonade distress inks very lightly over the top.
I scribbled some Whispers pens onto the craft sheet & used a waterbrush to colour the foliage below the bird.
Tim used his very cool distress marker spritzer through a stencil on his tags & I had to improvise to get this effect. I added tiny amounts of Pea Coat Fresco paint to water in a mister bottle & spraying onto scrap card to check the colour until it was what I wanted. Then I sprayed through a TCW stencil. I wanted quite a subtle look to the board, but I couldn’t resist a spritz of Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist at this stage.
A close up to show the stencilled layer.
The finished board. I edged the tag with Walnut Stain Distress ink & the board with Potting Soil Archival & French Roast Fresco. There’s a little bit of washi tape on the board & I used paper string through the word band on the tag & added the eyelets for decoration. I stuck a piece of kraft card to the back of the tag to strengthen it. The tag had curled slightly as I was working on it, so I left it like that, using double foam pads at the top & bottom only.
That’s it, I hope you like it. Thank you to Tim for his genius & inspiration. See you next time.